Monday, January 31, 2011

Change is Coming

What a few weeks we have had!  It's been quite a challenge to not be anxious.  The school board has decided to close the Middle School where Andy teaches and move the 6th graders back to the Elementary and 7th & 8th to the High School.  Enrollment is declining which reduces the districts income.  They can operate for about 5 years without major cuts if schools are consolidated.  Fiscally it makes sense but personally it is painful.  Kids are scared and staff are worried about lay-offs.  Andy was the last hired in his department, so he would lose his job if another social studies teacher does not retire.  It sounds like a high school teacher is retiring so he should keep his job.  It was really iffy for a week or two, though.

Along with Andy's work situation, our renters are now 4 months behind in rent.  It's worrisome enough that I decided to apply for a job.  Thankfully, my dream job opened at the same time we decided I should start looking.  I'm excited to be starting at the Blue Mtn. Home Health and Hospice office administered by the local hospital.  I worked as a CNA and student nurse in HH/Hospice in LaGrande and really enjoyed it.  I'll get to be part of a team but work independently.  My past experience in The Dalles will fit nicely with this new job but I'll have much to learn!  I start next Tuesday. 

Pray for us as we make the transition.  I've really enjoyed staying home the last 1 1/2 years and it will be a big adjustment.  I'll be working part-time the first month or so then as a casual (on-call).  I'm not sure how my new preschool curriculum will fit into the work schedule and I also need to find backup childcare.  One of our neighbors will be my primary Mally-watcher but I need another couple of backup people.  That's the scariest part for me.  I miss having my mom to help out! 

We have worked 2 weekends at clearing junipers and brush and have finished about 3 acres.  We only have one little strip in the lower lot and along the road to finish.  Hopefully, one more long weekend and we'll have that job done! 


"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
Matthew 6:25-27 New International Version

We are so thankful that He feeds the birds :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love checking in on your blog.Change is scary, but know that our family will be praying for a smooth transition for your lovely family.prayers and continued creativity for you. You have inspired me so much, THANK YOU! VintageLisa