Photo from All RecipesIngredients
- 2 cups rolled oats (2 1/2 c)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar (1/2c)
- 1/2 cup wheat germ (ground flax seed)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (1 tsp)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or whole wheat)
- 3/4 cup raisins (chocolate chips or craisins)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease a 9x13 (8x8 for thicker bars) inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, raisins and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla. Mix well using your hands. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 (20-25 for chewy bars) minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut.
I just finished another batch, this time doubling the recipe and spreading it into a jelly-roll pan. Baked them for 25 minutes and they are perfect! Next time I think I'll add some peanut butter and chocolate chips instead of raisins :)
Linked to Craftaholics Anonymous Recipe Swap.