Friday, November 6, 2009

Scrappy Pillows

Mama Caffee over at The Handmade Dress is hosting a little scrappy, creative challenge. She made these cute bags while sitting with her kids. I need to spend more time with the kiddos instead of at my sewing machine, so I dug through my scrap bins and came up with these little pretties.


I have had this adorable denim in my stash for quite awhile. I love the satin ribbon on it. I found two pillows that were in the extra bedding box and measured them, adding 1-2" for seams, and cut the front and back panels of denim.

The shabby trees and stars were inspired by Lollychops recent scrappy projects. I found coordinating reds and yellows, stacked about 8 layers of fabric, then cut out the shapes. After scrunching them up, I pinned them in place and stitched up the middle. They will get more shabby with time since the edges are unfinished.

To finish the pillows, I stitched JOY on the small one and PEACE on the large one in red floss. You have to zoom in to really see the stitching, but I'm pleased with it. I'm a total novice at hand embroidery, but just stitched away! Voila! In the time it took to watch a movie with the kids, I made two adorable holiday pillows.


 
If you love them, the JOY pillow is for sale in my Etsy shop :)

2 comments:

Bea said...

Great idea. Love the layered "applique" look. Very pretty. Nice job on the stitching, too!

Unknown said...

This is so inspiring... so much that I thought of an idea to adapt it to make some Christmas cards for people this year.. bit like a popup with fabric in the middle. Have just posted a scan of the post-it I scribbled on over at http://amoebahandmade.blogspot.com/ Just got to get on with it now!