Monday, October 12, 2009

What's for Dinner Monday

I had a pretty uneventful weekend, thanks to another cold. Saturday we went out for lunch then to Community Market for elephant ears - the last until next summer. Sunday I was feeling worse, so I stayed in bed while Andy took the kids to church. Quite a production watching him get 3 kids ready and out the door :) Thankfully, today I'm feeling a little better and am feeling productive.

Wash is started, the house picked up and chicken soup is on the stove. I figured I needed to get things done before I poop out :) I was asked to share my Dinner Roll and some soup recipes. Fall is definitely here in John Day, with lows in the 20's now, so it's soup season! Thankfully my family loves soup as much as I do, so we'll be eating it more often now that the weather's cooler.

I tried Amy's No-Fuss Potato Soup in the crock pot last week and it was delicious! I added some carrots and corn to the recipe and the kids didn't even know they were eating their veggies :) Here's my version:
No-Fuss Potato Soup For the Crock Pot
(My version in parentheses)
6 Cups diced, peeled potatos
5 cups water (6 cups water)
2 Tbs. onion powder (1 medium onion, diced)
1/2 cup diced celery
(4 carrots, peeled & diced)
(1 pint corn)
1/2 cup (1/4 cup butter) margaine or butter
4 chicken bouillion cubes  (2 Tbsp. powdered chicken bouillon)
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
12 oz. can evaporated milk
3 Tbs chopped fresh parsley (dried parsley flakes)
8 oz. of shredded cheese cheddar of colby

  1.  Combine all ingredents except milk, parsley, and cheese in slow cooker.
  2. Cover Cook on High 7-8 hrs. or until vegetables are tender.
  3. Stir in milk and parsley. Stir in cheese until it melts.
Tips:
For added flavor stir in 3 slice of bacon that's been browned until crisp and crumbled.
Or add bit size pieces of pre-cooked ham last hour of cooking so they ham will be heated through.

Serves 8-10

Angie's Chicken Noodle Soup
3 large chicken breasts
6 cups water
1 medium onion, diced
4 carrots, diced
4 stalks celery, diced
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt (more to taste later)
1/4 tsp pepper (to taste later)
1 tsp. dried parsley

Simmer on low 6-10 hours. Shred chicken. Add a bag of egg noodles last hour of cooking. Add additional powdered chicken bouillon/broth, salt, pepper to taste.  Also good with added frozen peas or corn.  

No-Knead Sandwich or Dinner Rolls
From the SACC Cookbook - LeAnn McAnulty.   I mix this with a wooden spoon in my big stainless-steel bowl. Turn your oven on as low as it goes while you're mixing so you have a nice warm place for the dough to rise. Turn the oven off once you put the dough in.


 3 c. warm water
1/2 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. yeast 
1 Tbsp. salt
2 eggs
3/4 c. oil
7-10 c. flour ( I use bread flour and whole-wheat flour) 

Mix warm water, sugar and yeast. Add salt and 3 cups of flour. Stir for 2 minutes. Add eggs and oil, mixing well. Add 5-7 cups of flour ( I usually use 3 c. whole-wheat flour here). Mix well. Continue adding flour until dough is not sticky. Place in large oiled bowl (I just oil the bowl I've mixed in). Let rise until doubled (1 hr). Shape into buns (4" x 1/2" thick for buns or tennis-ball sized for large rolls). Place on greased cookie sheets and let rise again until doubled (1 hr). Bake at 375 degrees for 13-15 minutes. Makes 2 dozen large rolls.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love making bread at home, so I'll have to try this recipe since I don't love kneading it! :) Thanks for posting it...
Your blog is SO cute!!

Bobbi said...

It's a cloudy soup day here, I just may have to make potatoe soup for dinner tonight! Thanks.